Saturday, 27 February 2016

Essie 'It's Genius' Swatch, Review and Comparison

It's Genius is described by Essie as a violet quartz shimmer with beige undertones, and was introduced in the Winter 2008 Collection. I'd describe it as a deep purple-berry, with a very fine golden shimmer. Purples are among my least favourite nail colours, but I found It's Genius on Ebay last week for just over £3.00 including postage, so thought I'd give it a go. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it - probably because it leans to a dark pinky berry.

The photo below is taken in natural light, indoors.
I used a base coat of Orly Bonder, two thick coats of It's Genius, and a top coat of Seche Vite.
The consistency is a little on the thin side - it isn't that strongly pigmented, and it ran into my cuticles a bit (I might have been better off with three thin coats), but saying that, it wasn't too bad to work with, and leveled quite nicely.

A selection of my closest purple/pink/berry Essie shades: Warm & Toasty Turtleneck, Play Date, Sexy Divide, It's Genius, Flowerista, Big Spender and Bahama Mama.

And again in different lighting:

Swatches of the above shades:

When I was busying choosing which Essie polishes to buy and using Pinterest for reference, one of the things which I wanted to see more of were pictures of the polish from a distance. I wanted to get more of a general impression of what the colour looked like being worn, rather than just close up hand shots, so here is It's Genius at a distance.

Those chunky glass bottles are irresistible!

No comments:

Post a Comment